Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Who Am I?

When you first meet someone, one of the first questions that person usually asks you is "What do you do for a living?" or some variation of this question depending on the circle you happen to be in.

Lately, I've been thinking about the question: "Who Am I?"

At one point in my life, that was a simple, easy to answer question or so I thought.

I was a daughter.

I was a high school student.

I was an undergraduate student.

I was a graduate student.

Now?

It might would take me an hour to tell a new person who I am.

I'm a Christian. I've been saved by Jesus and although there have been some distant seasons in my walk with God, there have been some incredibly close moments, too. Currently, I am loving the season I am in with the Lord.

I'm a wife. Matt and I have been married for almost 5 years and boy, we still have a lot to learn but the hard times bring about some pretty beautiful times as well.

I'm a Mom. You guys, I'm a Mom to the sweetest, most energetic, strong willed, lovable, smart little boy that I've ever known. Not that I'm biased AT ALL!

I'm a daughter. I have two of the best parents. They may not have been married all of my childhood but they both worked extremely hard to be civil and do what was best for me. I look back on that now and realize what a blessing it was/is. (Side note: they are both pretty awesome grandparents, too!)

I'm a sister. I'm a half-sister and a step-sister and boy does that confuse lots of people sometimes. But in my mind, while it isn't without it's issues, I love those brothers and sisters for real.

I'm a daughter-in-law and sister-in-law. When I married Matt, I gained more family and that gave me another "title".

I'm an Aunt. I've been an aunt to my oldest nephews since I was younger than a teenager. I now have 6 nephews and 2 nieces and I don't get to see them all as much as I would like but I love them all. Being around them taught me things about being a mom myself.

I'm a friend. You guys, I do not take this one lightly. I struggled for a season of my life because I had a hard time when a friend would "go" and that friendship with change but as I've moved from home, had several jobs, etc, I have learned that friends for a season are a beautiful beautiful thing. But those life long friends? They are pretty incredible, too.

I'm a speech-language pathologist. I went to school for 6.5 years earning a bachelor's degree and a master's degree and I have worked in this career for nearly 7 years. I worked full time in geriatric care for nearly 5 years and since then I have worked as a PRN therapist. It's the best of both worlds for me.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and a working mom. That's hard work my friends but like I said above, it's the best of both worlds for me.

I'm a Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) member and now, leader. I have learned so much in the last year and a half and I am so blessed that God has led me to be a leader as a table shepherd.

I'm a MOMS club membership VP and a member of that same incredible group. In this group, I have had my eyes opened to so many of the beautiful facets of motherhood. Our group has over 50 moms and all of us do aspects of parenting differently. I have realized that in some areas of motherhood, I was close-minded and I am becoming more and more understanding of the importance of there being differences so that we can all learn from each other.

There are more and more things I could say about who I am but these are where I'll stop for today.

Who are you?








No comments:

Post a Comment